In 2001 the Race Around the World Duathlon was started by the Hannon Family with the goal of becoming the best multisport event in the south Chicago suburbs. Over the years, with the help of numerous volunteers, great support from the local community, and a ton of hard work, the race committee has accomplished this goal and the race has become a favorite "must do Du" each year.
This year the race continues to evolve and the Hannon Family has passed the honor of hosting the race to the fine folks at INTENT Strength & Multisport. INTENT is one of the premier coaching and training companies in the Midwest and they are excited to bring their years of race experience in multisport to this event. INTENT Co-Founders, Mary Ann Sedor & Rick Schopp are honored to be the new race directors for this event and they are working closely with the Hannon Family and the City of Tinley Park to keep the traditions that have made this race great an to add new features for 2015.
First up on the big news for 2015!
The race is now called the INTENT Tinley Park Duathlon!
With the blessing of the Hannon Family and the city of Tinley Park, the name has been changed to reflect the new race directors and the fine city that hosts the event each year!
Portions of the proceeds from the event will still benefit the local charity, TOGETHER WE COPE. Together We Cope is a homeless prevention agency that provides assistance to area families. When you register for the 2015 INTENT Tinley Park Duathlon you can add an extra donation if you like to help out even more.
Important things to know about the 2015 INTENT Tinley Park Duathlon
- The event consists of a 2 mile run, 11 mile bike, 2 mile run
- Race Day is Sunday June 28th
- Race Starts @ 8:00am
- Location: South Street & Oak Park Ave. in Tinley Park, IL
- You can race as an Individual or as a Relay Team of 2
- Age Groups will be in 5 year age brackets
- Individual Awards will be given for the top 3 finishers in each age group.
- Relay Team Awards will be given for top 3 Female, Male & Mixed teams
- The top Female & Male Tinley Park resident finishers will have their names inscribed on the Tinley Park Trophy that travels around Tinley Park all year!
- Athletes age 10 and up (race day age) of all levels are encouraged to race this race!
- This is a "Must do DU!" We close at 650 participants and we expect to sell out! Sign up early!
New this year!
- Packet Pick up and Race Expo on Saturday June 27th @ the race site! Come early to Tinley Park on the 27th and shop at the Farmer's Market. Come a bit later and stay for the free concert! (Don't stay up too late - you have a race the next day!)
Call for Volunteers - We need help!
Adult and student volunteers needed to help out on race day to distribute water, refreshments,
and/or guide racers in the transition area between the hours of 6am – 11am. We promise to be really nice and give you great big hugs and any extra bananas after you help out.
To volunteer contact Mary Ann Sedor through our contact form.